The day of the red balloon

I'm all for Valentines Day.   I'm all for celebrating ANYTHING.  Especially celebrations in the middle of winter (why we aren't more enthusiastic about Chinese new year I'm not sure).  Even if they are cheesy holidays involving long standing traditions of stuffed animals and pink balloons and chocolate hearts that no one is quite sure where they even started.

I like celebrating Valentines day because I have valentine! I spent many years without a "significant other" and feel special to have a sweet hubby to call my own on valentines day.  I am also excited to make the day fun for my kid.... when he's older.   Crafts, cards, sentiments, decorating valentines box, tricking them into  doing more chores... that type of fun.

Our February 14th of 2014 went something like this:

Got up at 6 am to make pink scrambled eggs and pink heart shaped pancakes for Bjorn (he noticed. And was grateful). We "exchanged presents" over breakfast. We had decided  to get each other ONE meaningful item that represents a memory of something we've done together.  I got him a new belt (mostly 'cause he needed one) recalling the time he made me an impromptu belt out of rope when we were dating once.  He got me a beautiful figurine from the Willow Tree collection!  A mom, dad, and baby called "our gift".  I am in love with it! It marks a special time in our lives, I only have 1 or 2 other willow tree figures, and mostly I am delighted Bjorn remembered that is what I wanted.


Zumba'd to some funny lovey  songs with my Friday Zumba group

Dropped off a surprise treat at Bjorn's work

Reserved movie tickets for the night and let Gabriel play/wander around the mall

Met Bjorn for a lunch date at Great Harvest.  I love any sandwich place and am so happy that B really likes this one too!

Bought Gabriel a red balloon (that is really all he wanted for valentines day.  And that is all he got. He was very happy with it) and some other junk/necessities from Dollar Tree

mailed a package to my brother on a mission

chatted with my mom and sister briefly

made a surprisingly yummy steak dinner with Bjorn.  He made the steak, I made everything else.

We hit up the V-day family dance party at the fitness center.  It had lots of things to do, not a ton of people, and not the best music to dance to. (Kidz Bop? Is that what's it's called).  I'm still glad we went and Bjorn is glad it made me happy.

After Gabe went to sleep a sitter came over and Bjorn and I saw Ender's Game.  I didn't enjoy it as much as the book, but it still has some great themes and moral dilemmas... and it was a date with my hubby!

We finished off the night with gourmet cupcakes from the sweet tooth fairy.  My FAVORITE!

0 comments:



Post a Comment