Have I ever mentioned...





How much I love teaching Sunday school? Not just any Sunday school class- but MY Sunday school class.  I get to teach the beloved youth of the Miller ward (all ages, 12-17) every Sunday. 


Basically, I love teaching.  I love teaching the gospel, and, I have found,  I love teaching teenagers.  I'll admit, it has always been my dream to be a seminary teacher.  Since I haven't gone through CES training, this is more likely to be an "early-morning" type of seminary calling than "released-time".  Yes, I have thought this through, yes I am still willing to do it.   


I learn much from preparing the lessons, and enjoy the challenge of coming up with creative ideas to teach them, interesting tid-bits, testimony building experiences, and attention grabbing openers.  Since it's a smaller class, we get to eat homemade bread when learning about Christ being the bread of life, we play games with church pamphlets and candy, we have lessons outside on picnic blanket when it's warm, we sing songs to memorize scriptures. (see the seminary teacher coming out already?).  We make gospel learning fun. 


Some of my favorite lessons recently have involved a young recent convert in our ward.  He is an awesome 12 year old, wide open to learning.  Since he doesn't have a bible I give him my old one to use during class.  This book of scripture has been nicknamed "the one with all the answers"  because I used it during seminary.  He'll answer a question and say "I knew it because you wrote it right here" oh yeah. woops.  Or when I ask him to read a verse he'll say "can I just read the underlined parts?"  Since I've forgotten what the underlined parts are- the answer is usually no.  These students keep me on my toes!  And I love it. 

0 comments:



Post a Comment