Sick of being Sick

Since the last week of February, either Bjorn or I have been sick. Violently ill, recovering, recuperating, almost sick, coughing, hacking, not sleeping well, sneezing, almost better, or something of the sort- every day.  I think it started with some bug I brought home from the hospital- MPV maybe? Bjorn had a real bad bout last week and even went to the doctors office voluntarily.  He was given antibiotics and is improving. Yesterday I started to come down with something AGAIN, after feeling fully healthy for almost a month.  The sinus pressure built up overnight, yet I still went to work.  After coughing and sneezing into every mask I wore and destroying four jolly ranchers because I had no medicine nor cough drops with me, miraculously I was able to go home early.  The unit was slow and they needed to send a nurse home.  Luckily, my day was up, so the charge just asked if I wanted to go. She didn't even know I was sick.  I considered it a great tender mercy and eagerly said yes.  I came home eager to dose up on drugs and pass out.... once again.   My sweet husband of course took great care of my ornery, exhausted self.  We haven't done dishes together in long while..... the unspoken rules is whoever is NOT sick at the moment gets to rid the kitchen of dirtiness.

Enough complaining.  I realize there are a couple ups to being sick.  And by couple I mean 2.    First, you are allowed to eat whatever you want (whatever sounds good.... whatever you can keep down) and along with that get to drink lots of juice (Bjorn and I love all fruit juices).  Second, being sick gives me an opportunity to stop.  I like to go-go-go-go ALL the time. I love being productive.  I find when I am sick the house doesn't get picked up, the bed isn't always made, and the dishes pile up. Yet long past due e-mails to friends are sent, books I've been meaning to finish suddenly become more interesting, and Bjorn and I have time to sit and talk.  I lay on the germ infested couch pondering life, marriage, the terrifying thought of having children running around the house while being this sick, the people I wanted to see and help this week, my plans for the future, and humbly realizing God's plan for the future, and how much more I need to trust in Him.  Though I have great plans for myself and my family (including not ever being sick ever again), I know God's plans for us are even greater, teaching invaluable lessons and brining us closer together as well as closer to Him.

0 comments:



Post a Comment