Blood Sisters

Our entertaining story of the month comes from the Murray clan.  Of course.  Because now that 7 of the 11 B. H. Murray's reside in Utah, we are together and causing laughter whenever we can.
Erin, Kacy, and roommate Maren came up to SLC for a date with the Grahams.  We took them to "our" pool, then donated blood together.  I know that may sound strange, but Bjorn and I have gone on more than one date to donate blood. Weird, I know. But it is nice to know I have saved a life or two.  Especially because the blood goes to local hospitals, like Primary Children's, I can say to my patient "that's my blood you're getting!"I digress.
So the five of us are donating blood.  Erin and I have had problems in the past (i.e. throwing up, almost passing out, low iron, etc.).  Kacy and Maren have never donated before. Bjorn, of course, is a pro.  He RACES when he donates.  (to see how fast 1 pint can come out).  So Kacy is naturally nervous, but I hold her hand during the scary parts (needle stick) and she and Maren do great!  We're sitting in the food area gorging ourselves on their assortment of snacks when Maren states she doesn't feel so great.  She is quickly wheeled (in a wheely-office chair) over to the beds again and lays down while they take her vitals.  Kacy starts to think "glad that wasn't me" then realizes she DOES feel sick.  Before she can get the whole sentence out she has completely passed out in the chair.  Her head leaned back and she started breathing funny.... it was scary for a moment. I was helping Maren on the other side of the room, but came rushing over with a few other staff when Erin said "she's sort of freaking out".  The staff had Bjorn  pick Kacy up (I guess the no heavy lifting after donating rules don't apply to him) and lay her on the floor.  They had towels and cold packs all ready and surrounding her quickly.  By then it was just humorous.  She started to wake up after about a minute and said some funny things.  I was laughing so hard!  And trying to keep from laughing at the same time.  It was great.  Kacy was soon taken over to the beds as well and she and Maren spent another half hour recovering together before we could go home.
She says she's still considering donating again.

3 comments:



Mindee said...

That's awesome! I think it's funny that Bjorn "races" because Chuck does the same thing! We should get them together :) I am so grateful for people like all of you who donate your blood. I pass out even getting samples taken, let alone a pint. I just can't do it :( But good for you and THANK YOU!

Tasty Tidbits said...

The last time I attempted to give blood I almost passed out myself. It's something physical, not out of fear if that makes sense. I really want to give blood!! I think it's great that people do. Your story was just hilarious to me because I completely saw myself! haha

Camilla and Tim said...

I've never donated before but the idea of it just makes me sick to my stomach! I need to get over it because I'd love to be able to do it!

Post a Comment