Birth Story of Baby A

The day of my baby’s due date came and went. It was a Tuesday, and I had absolutely no signs of contractions.   Since my mom was in town for the supposed baby’s birth, Bjorn and I were able to go out for a final date night. We saw Intersteller at the movie theater. I felt kind of sick to my stomach and knew that could be a sign of pre-labor, but Bjorn felt sick as well so it was more likely something we both ate.  We went to bed that night a little disappointed.  We both had to work the next day and our doula/friend was going out of town for Thanksgiving. Things were not going as planned.   Happily, baby A heard our pleas and decided to join our family Wednesday morning.  I woke up around  3:30 in the morning with what felt like normal pregnancy discomfort. I wasn’t able to go back to sleep and finally woke Bjorn up at 4 am.  He was excited I was having contractions, but to me they still didn’t feel “real”.  It didn’t feel like when I was in labor with Gabriel, so I didn’t believe it.  We ate breakfast, showered, and watched The Office. Bjorn finally convinced me to call in sick to work and I began to believe we were having a baby TODAY.  By 6 am my mom woke up (Gabe slept through everything) and I could definitely admit I was in labor. I was having strong contractions, but they were manageable.   We called the midwife and decided to head to the hospital.  By the time we had finished packing our hospital bag it was 6:45 and I was kind of starting to struggle. I was very much looking forward to the nice labor tub of warm water the hospital would set up for me.   Before leaving the house, my mom, Bjorn, and I knelt and said a prayer for everyone’s health and safety as we prepared for the eminent arrival of baby A.   It was a sweet, calm moment I hope to never forget. 

The car ride to the hospital was the worst part. I think I must have been going through the transition phase.  I was so uncomfortable and the contractions were very painful. I wanted to die. Bjorn was driving through red lights and speeding up to 100 mph on the freeway…. We made it to the hospital in record time. Friend/doula Megan met us at the hospital entrance and helped me inside while Bjorn parked.  It was wonderful timing on her part.  I tried to “check in”  but starting having strong contractions instead, so I was directed to a room. The nurse Laura started the patient check in procedure and tried waiting while I had contractions close together. She asked me to put on a gown and monitors… after the next contraction (she was trying to be patient).  I finally told her- “they’re not stopping!”  The super strong contractions were only seconds apart.  I kept trying different yoga positions to get comfortable and breathe deeply.  All of a sudden I felt a big gush and could feel my baby’s head pushing on my pelvis.  Nurse Laura checked me and sure enough it was the head- ready to come out. Bjorn and Megan were both great and supportive and helpful and everyone stayed calm and told me I was doing a great job.  Nurse Laura called for some help when I said “I have to push!” The sensation was overwhelming; I had to push this thing out of me!! And I knew once I did it wouldn’t hurt anymore. That was great motivation.  To my surprise everyone said “ok!”  and so  I did.  With four pushes Baby A came out and nurse Laura caught him and placed him on my chest. I was so relieved it was all over (so I thought) and so happy he was so healthy. He was beautiful to me, already. Even with newborn yuckiness all over him.  Bjorn was impressed with me, mostly. And Megan handed me a chocolate protein shake.  Very thoughtful of her and much appreciated.  A bunch of doctors and nurses then arrived and helped clean everything up and give me a couple stitches.  A few minutes later someone noticed the baby was having trouble breathing so they tried whisking him to the newborn crib in the room.  To everyone’s surprise, he was still attached to me! No one had thought to cut the umbilical cord yet (there was a LOT going on).  Some nurse and somebody else hurried and grabbed scissors and tied and cut it, then sucked out Aidric’s nose and mouth. (I think he just came out so fast he didn’t have time to have all the gunk squeezed out of his lungs as he would if he came out slowly like is supposed to happen).  They handed him back to me and put a blanket over us and all was well.   I just sat in awe for several minutes.  Being stitched up without anesthesia was no fun, luckily it was a small tear.  Eventually we traveled up to our recovery room.  I was on an adrenaline high and wide awake and hungry. They had food for me, and cold packs and heat packs and everything I needed and wanted.  It was great being pampered.  Bjorn and Megan kept congratulating me as I held our perfect (though nameless) newborn, marveling once again at the miracle of life. 

0 comments:



Post a Comment