to Zion and Beyond

<3


Another getaway weekend for the Grahams!  I am very lucky to get to spend a weekend with just me and my husband. Of course this wasn't spontaneous- I'm way too much of a planner for that.  We had a hotel in Saint George and also tried to see the Grand Canyon, but spent most of our time in Zion National Park.

our first stop was a hike down the road and into the river off a scenic overlook
 not a real trail

the end of "watchman" hike



my hot husband


celebratory jump on completing the hike

obedient as always


a real town just outside of Zion's Park

Zion's was very different from what I remembered of my last visit 15+ years ago. They have become very eco-friendly.  Which I guess, is a good thing.  They don't allow bottled water to be sold in the park, they have free "water bottle filling stations" the water of which has been naturally purified by 400 feet of sandstone (*read* a little bit of grit in the water).  They also don't allow cars into the upper half of the park during the spring/summer and instead have a system of busses that run on propane to take tourists around.
the waterfalls of emerald pools

I loved the waterfalls on this trip!  The maps couldn't promise us any, but the visitors guide says waterfalls can just appear out of nowhere.  Stopping and starting due to flash floods miles away.  I was HOPING to get to see at least one, and we saw quite a few!  We even saw one stop via the wind blowing the water up and over another direction.  Very cool. 




the vibrant green of this algae caught my attention

Bjorn was very sad to not be able to hike the narrows.  It's pretty obvious why the trail was closed.

this is the rock where a waterfall WAS moments before we took the picture

tired feet.... happy to have a sandal tan!! 

1 comments:



Lyles said...

What a fun trip! We love Zion and think the shuttle is pretty fun too. Love your tan line too! Can't wait to see you this week in person, but no tan for me, I'm still a whitey. :)

Post a Comment